Author: Antony Roy Nellangara
What is Figma?
Figma is a vector graphics editor and prototyping tool which is primarily web-based, with additional offline features enabled by desktop applications for macOS and Windows.
Here, we will see how we can use Figma to design backgrounds for Tableau dashboards.
Link to Figma: https://www.figma.com/
1. Go to the Figma website using the link given above. Create a new account or log in to your existing Figma account.
2. After logging in to your account, click on the new design file, and this will take you to the design page where you can design your backgrounds and designs for your Tableau dashboards.
3. Draw a rectangle on the design page with the dimensions that you would want your Tableau dashboard to have. Here I have gone with a rectangle of dimension 1300*950 as I will be designing a Tableau dashboard with the same dimensions.
4. Add different shapes, designs, colors, and texts to your Figma design so that it can be used as a background on your Tableau dashboards where you can drag and drop your Tableau worksheets where the analysis and visualization is done.
For reference, this is a Figma design that I created which will cater to my Tableau dashboard needs.
5. Now, once you are done with the design, export the image to your computer.
6. Once the image is on your computer, open your Tableau desktop, create a new dashboard, and set the dimensions as that of the Figma design.
7. Now, insert the image into your dashboard from your local system.
8. This is how it would look after the image has been inserted into your dashboard.
9. Now drag and drop your worksheets to the dashboard to show your analysis and visualization.
10. Here are some other examples of Figma designs :
11. Here are some examples of complete Tableau dashboards with Figma designs as background
The above blog provides you with a step-by-step walkthrough on how to design different designs in Figma, keeping Tableau in mind and adding those designs as backgrounds for your Tableau dashboards, and adding charts and KPIs to your Figma design on Tableau.