Author: Ajay CB
How many times have you come across scenarios where a user had access to a workbook on Tableau for which he or she should have been restricted? Well, this is a really important situation and there is a way to solve this problem.
Tableau has made this whole process of managing permissions very simple and can be done in just a few clicks!
As a publisher of a workbook or data source, we must be able to have control over who can access or download the workbook or data source due to privacy issues. Permissions allow us to give access or deny permission for the published content on Tableau Server or Tableau Online ( Prerequisites). There are so many types of roles which are discussed below.
There are totally 5 types of permission templates available which are…
You can apply these permissions for a specific user or a group of users.
1. View: With this permission template we can view the workbook, filter the workbook which also includes keep only and exclude filters, we can add and also view the comments related to the workbook, download the worksheets as an Image/PDF, download summary data, also we can run the explain data feature to get more information.
2. Explore: All the capabilities from the view template works with this permission template with some extra access such as sharing customized, downloading the full data, and web editing.
3. Publish: All the capabilities from the view and explore template work with this permission template with some extra access such as Download Workbook/Save a Copy in which we can download the workbook as a twb or twbx file, also we can overwrite the content on the server which means now we have full access to the workbook and data and ownership.
4. Administer: All the capabilities from the view, explore, and publish template work with this permission template with some additional capabilities such as moving the workbooks across projects, Deleting a workbook with user access, and also to create and setting permission rules for the workbook.
5. Custom: We can manually set all the permissions one by one to the user or group. This is completely flexible and can be done as per needed requirement
Required Permission Capability Settings :
We can see all the permissions that are allowed as per the template that we choose for the user/group. We can do it as per our requirements and we can set roles and permissions to avoid privacy issues.
Conclusion: With permissions, we can provide access and remove access to our users as per requirement and handle data with a better level of security. All these can be easily done with just a few clicks! Thanks to Tableau for making this so simple which has helped a lot of engineers and analysts all over the world.